Image Hosted by The Image Hosting

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The Morning After the News

A sharp ringing pierces thru her sleep, intruding on the peace she's found away from the torment of thoughts of her unborn children. With a groan she reaches toward the sound.

She knocks the phone from it's perch on the tabletop beside her. She wakes up enough to realize it's the phone, and opens her eyes. SHe picks up the receiver.

"H'Lo.?"

His familiar voice washes over her."Lilly? Honey? Are you ok?"

"HONEY!! Oh honey! I miss you so much! Yes, I'm ok." She explains,"I'm just.... I'm not taking care of myself well enough, that's all."

In a rush, he blurts,"Honey, are you sure? I think I'll come home. I've been so worried. What did the doctor say? When can you go home? Who's your doctor? I want to talk to him, make sure you're ok."

With a knowing smile and a troubled heart; she answers," Yes darling, I'm ok. No need to come home. The doctor just said I need to eat more, and get more rest. The last thing I want you to do is call him, and waste time on the phone being told the same things over again. I promise James, I'm ok." With a deep breath, she continues, " Honey, I miss you. So very much. I'll be ok... and I'll be going home tonight. Don't cut this trip short, honey, because it'll just mean you'll have to leave later. Take your time, finish what you need to finish, then we can be together. I love you. I want this. I want our future to be together, not apart spent on the phone wishing we were together."

Silence on the phone only confirmed what she knew he was thinking. Then, with a deep sigh, James replies," Ok Lilly. I'll finish this trip, and it will be my last. I'm tired of sleeping in hotels, stressing about the next flight, missing you. I'll make sure I won't have to go on the road again."

She laughs. "I'm looking forward to it."

They talk for a bit longer, her heart torn. But never does she let him know what is really wrong. She couldn't tell him that she's having his children only to tell him they may die. She'd never hurt him like that. No way would she put him thru that hell.

No, in this, she would suffer alone. She would bear the hurt, and keep her husband's heart safe.

After they say their goodbyes she lies back on her pillows, deep in thought.

Why did I lie to him? Why didn't I just tell him? How can I keep this from him? He's gonna be home in a few weeks, he'll see me get fat... he'll see my pregnancy. How can I hide this? But how could I tell him? How could I look at his face and see the pain in his eyes when he see's me, large with child, knowing he may never hold it, never kiss it?

Fighting back tears, she hugs her arms to her chest and sighs.

Why must life thrust us into these situations?

She gets out of bed, and gets dressed. It takes more effort than she's willing to allow herself to believe. Unwilling to stay another day, she calls for a cab, and walks slowly out of the hostpital.



|

~~~*~~~

Whispered by the fire in Miss Megumi's cave of wonders @ 11:28 PM

~*~*~*~

All content is copyrighted by California Stryker © 2004

* * * * *