Image Hosted by The Image Hosting

Thursday, December 02, 2004

pt 6

*quick author's note* I promise I won't type in microsoft word and copy my stuff here. That, apparently, messes up the posts. =(


~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

Her head hurts. She opens her eyes only to slam them closed again.

Damn sun.

Where is she? What happened to her? She tries to sit up, but something seems to be holding her arms to her side.

Squinting, she looks at them. Tubes. Needles.

She wiggles her fingers. There's something in her hand, but she can't lift her head up far enough to see what it is. She moves it around. Feels like a button. She presses it, and wearily lies her head back on the pillow.

And sleeps.

Sometime later she awakes to a voice talking near by.

"Dr. Serna, she pressed the button earlier. I swear it."
"Claudia, you're stressed. Look at her.. does it look like she pressed the button?"

She groans and both the voices become silent.

And they are at her side.

"I knew it!! I just knew you were gonna be ok."

"Claudia, I think you need to go get the head nurse.... and Mrs. Jones' doctor."

She lifts her head, and opens her eyes. Dark now. She must have slept. For a long time too, considering it was so bright when she first woke up.

"Where am I," She croaks.

"Mrs. Jones, I am Dr. Serna, the only Dr. on shift tonight. You had some problems yesterday. Do you remember them?"

"I was at work......"

"Yes ma'am. Do you remember what happened at work?"

"...I ... I was thristy....I went to get a juice... and I was dizzy when I stood up... I remember reaching for my purse, and then... nothing..."

With a sigh Dr. Serna put his hand on hers. "You blacked out, ma'am. Some people heard you fall, and called 911. You've been asleep since then."

In shock, she sits up. And in her pain she cries out.

With prying fingers on her stomach, Dr. Serna asks, "Mrs. Jones? Where does it hurt?"

"My head. My head and my arms. I feel so weak...what's wrong with me??"

For a moment there is only silence. And then, hesitantly, Dr. Serna answers, " Mrs. Jones, I know you're concerned. But I'm not the best person to tell you. Your tests haven't come back yet, and your doctor is on his way. It would be better if you rested until he gets here. Then you'll have your questions answered. Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

For the first time she notices her mouth is as dry as cotton. "Thirsty. Do you have orange juice?"

With a laugh, Dr. Serna says, " No orange juice for you ma'am. It's too harsh on the stomach. How does apple juice sound?"

"Fine."

Dr. Serna shuts the door softly as he leaves. And her thoughts invade her.

Where is her husband? Is he ok? She should call him before he worries. Likely, he already is.

She presses the nurses button again, and in moments a stout woman with white hair appears at her door.

"Oh, I'm so happy you're awake. I've been worried about you since they told me...but don't you worry your pretty little head young lady. You'll be just fine. Now, what can Claudia do for you?"

With a weak smile she replies, "Can I call my husband?"

"Oh not a problem." Claudia smiles at her warmly. "Now, the hospital has a problem with patients calling.. but if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you use my cell phone. Promise?"

Beginning to like this 'Claudia', she smiles. "Yes, I promise."

Claudia makes short work of handing her the phone, and leaving her to her privacy.

Slowly, she dials the number from memory.

And his voice, strong and husky, answers on the first ring. "Hello?"

"I love you honey," she clamors in a rush.

"I've been so worried about you! Where are you! Why haven't you called? I've been worried sick!"

Over the next few minutes she tells him where she is, and how she got there.

He insists on coming home. She refuses to let him.

"I'm ok honey. I'm at the hospital.. but I'm ok. I'll get some rest, and when the doctor gets here, I'll find out what is wrong. But I promise you, I'll be ok."

"Lilly, I can't lose you. I live for you honey. I work for you. I breathe for you.... God I want to come home."

"James, I'm ok. I promise. I'll call as soon as I find out what's wrong. I'll bet it's just a problem with vitamins or something. I promise James, we'll live a long long time. I love you darling."

"Alright honey. You get some rest. Promise me you'll call me and tell me everything the doctor says."

"I promise. I love you James."

They hang up the phone, and feeling weaker than she's ever felt, she lies back, and in seconds is deeply asleep.

|

~~~*~~~

Whispered by the fire in Miss Megumi's cave of wonders @ 2:15 AM

~*~*~*~

All content is copyrighted by California Stryker © 2004

* * * * *